Attachment Parenting...Will it be for me??



Hi Everyone,

Its been quite a while since I posted anything other than weekly updates so I thought I would share with you one thing that's been on mind a lot recently!

The first time I heard about 'Attachment Parenting' I didn't have a clue what it was, but I was very interested to find out more!. Attachment parenting is based around the 7 B's:

 1.BIRTH BONDING-The way baby and parents get started with one another helps the early attachment unfold. The days and weeks after birth are a sensitive period in which mothers and babies are uniquely primed to want to be close to one another. A close attachment after birth and beyond allows the natural, biological attachment-promoting behaviours of the infant and the intuitive, biological, care giving qualities of the mother to come together. Both members of this biological pair get off to the right start at a time when the infant is most needy and the mother is most ready to nurture 

“What if something happens to prevent our immediate bonding?”

Sometimes medical complications keep you and your baby apart for a while, but then catch-up bonding is what happens, starting as soon as possible. When the concept of bonding was first delivered onto the parenting scene twenty years ago, some people got it out of balance. The concept of human bonding being an absolute “critical period” or a “now-or-never” relationship was never intended. Birth bonding is not like instant glue that cements the mother-child relationship together forever. Bonding is a series of steps in your lifelong growing together with your child. Immediate bonding simply gives the parent- infant relationship a headstart. 
2.BREASTFEEDING-Breastfeeding is an exercise in babyreading. Breastfeeding helps you read your baby’s cues, her body language, which is the first step in getting to know your baby. Breastfeeding gives baby and mother a smart start in life. Breastmilk contains unique brain-building nutrients that cannot be manufactured or bought. Breastfeeding promotes the right chemistry between mother and baby by stimulating your body to produce prolactin and oxytocin, hormones that give your mothering a boost.
3.BABYWEARING- A baby learns a lot in the arms of a busy caregiver. Carried babies fuss less and spend more time in the state of quiet alertness, the behaviour state in which babies learn most about their environment. Babywearing improves the sensitivity of the parents. Because your baby is so close to you, you get to know baby better. Closeness promotes familiarity. 
4.BEDDING CLOSE TO BABY-Wherever all family members get the best night’s sleep is the right arrangement for your individual family. Co-sleeping adds a nighttime touch that helps busy daytime parents reconnect with their infant at night. Since nighttime is scary time for little people, sleeping within close touching and nursing distance minimises nighttime separation anxiety and helps baby learn that sleep is a pleasant state to enter and a fearless state to remain in.
5.BELIEF IN THE LANGUAGE VALUE OF YOUR BABY'S CRY-A baby’s cry is a signal designed for the survival of the baby and the development of the parents. Responding sensitively to your baby’s cries builds trust. Babies trust that their caregivers will be responsive to their needs. Parents gradually learn to trust in their ability to appropriately meet their baby’s needs. This raises the parent-child communication level up a notch. Tiny babies cry to communicate, not to manipulate. 

6. BEWARE OF BABY TRAINERS-Attachment parenting teaches you how to be discerning of advice, especially those rigid and extreme parenting styles that teach you to watch a clock or a schedule instead of your baby; you know, the cry-it-out crowd. This “convenience” parenting is a short-term gain, but a long-term loss, and is not a wise investment. These more restrained styles of parenting create a distance between you and your baby and keep you from becoming an expert in your child.

7. BALANCE-In your zeal to give so much to your baby, it’s easy to neglect the needs of yourself and your marriage. As you will learn the key to putting balance in your parenting is being appropriately responsive to your baby – knowing when to say “yes” and when to say “no,” and having the wisdom to say “yes” to yourself when you need help.

Now as far as the 7 B's of attachment parenting go, there are some methods I feel like I wouldn't want to practise like Co-Sleeping for instance. I know a lot of parents do this and that's fine but In my opinion I find it a little dangerous to have your baby sleeping in the same bed as you, but haven't said that I will certainly be 'Bedding close to baby' as I plan to have baby in the moses basket next to my bed and then in a small crib next to my bed until he is at least 6 or 7 month old. Not only does this help with exclusively breastfeeding (through the night feeds) but It gives you a piece of mind that baby is OK and sleeping safely. 

As for the 'Baby Wearing' this definitely something I will be doing! I have already bought my baby wrap/sling ( I bought this from SnugiWraps, there much more affordable than the likes of Mothercare and Mamas&Papas). I personally love the idea of being close to my baby all the time and the benefits speak for themselves even if you do it just to help with your Milk supply, because as you probably already know having your baby close to your chest is good for that! 

That probably leads me to my next issue, 'Beware of baby trainers'!! I would love to think that people won't criticise or ridicule me on my decision to Attachment Parent but I know there will be some, and I can understand why to a certain degree because lets face it we are told these days to "let baby cry it out, he will become more independent!" or "If you are holding that kid all the time they will become clingy and never learn learn to walk!" But when it comes down to it I think we should just do what we feel is right for our babies and if in my personal opinion of what is right be to pick my baby up and nurse him when he's crying then so be it! There is no right or wrong way to parent your child ! 
I do however realise that I'm writing this post while still pregnant and not practised any of these methods yet but I certainly plan on doing so!!! I will let you all know how it goes once my little man is here !

Thanks for reading !

Ainz 
xoxo

(Credit to http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/parenting/attachment-parenting/what-ap-7-baby-bs for the The 7 B's of Attachment Parenting information. Go check out this website for more Information on Attachment Parenting!!)





No comments